Teeth whitening is one of the most common and affordable cosmetic dentistry services that individuals opt for if they want to improve their smile. A white, bright, and healthy smile can help boost your confidence. Teeth whitening process is also quick and safe. There are many teeth whitening treatment options available, however, for a long-lasting brighter smile, it is best to seek professional dental help. In the below article, we have covered the causes of tooth discolouration, reasons to whiten your teeth, and the various teeth whitening options. Thus, without further ado, let’s get started.
A] What Causes Tooth Discolouration?
While tooth discolouration is a natural process associated with ageing, there are several lifestyle and biological factors that can cause it. As you age, your teeth start to turn yellow naturally and the teeth enamel starts to wear-off exposing the dentine underneath. Your teeth may also turn darker or develop white spots in a few places.
Apart from age-related tooth discolouration, other reasons for tooth stain and discolouration might be:
- Intrinsic – Caused due to the accumulation of tartar and plaque, poor oral hygiene, genetics, etc.
- Extrinsic – The discolouration of the tooth may be caused due to external factors such as smoking, consumption of sugary-sweeten beverages, tea/coffee, red wine, trauma to teeth, excessive use of fluoride, medication, dental amalgam restorations, etc.
#Tooth Discolouration by Colour
The colour of your teeth may also help point out the cause. White to yellowish-white is considered the normal tooth colour, anything else may require teeth whitening service.
- Yellow: As mentioned above, yellow teeth is a sign of ageing, wherein the enamel wears-off over time making your dentine more visible.
- White spots: Also known as Fluorosis, this is caused due to excessive fluoride either from drinking water or fluoride rinses or toothpaste.
- Black: Smoking can turn our teeth black. Your teeth may also turn greyish or black due to tooth decay or tooth pulp necrosis.
- Brown: Tobacco is the main culprit that can turn your teeth brown.Tea/coffee and poor brushing habits are a few of the other reasons for teeth turning brown.
- Purple: Individuals who consume red wine regularly are prone to have a purple undertone to their teeth.
No matter what the cause of tooth discolouration is, professional teeth whitening dental clinic in Sunshine Coast can safely reverse it by offering effective treatments depending on the cause.
B] Reasons for Whitening Your Teeth
- To Remove Stains: One of the primary reasons why individuals opt for teeth whitening and bleaching service is to remove stains on the teeth that are caused by smoking, tea, coffee, soda, wine, among others.
- Improve Oral Hygiene: To maintain the perfect smile post teeth whitening service, individuals have to practice good oral hygiene – brushing, flossing and visiting the dentist every six months, which will result in improved oral health and hygiene.
- Aids in Smoking Cessation: Teeth whitening can be a great incentive for those trying to quit smoking as you wouldn’t want to get your teeth stained again.
- Ageing Teeth: To maintain a beautiful smile and offset the effects of ageing, teeth whitening/bleaching is the best option.
- Boost Self-confidence: Brighter and whiter smile makes you feel happier and younger, which helps boost confidence.
- Non-surgical: Teeth whitening process is relatively pain and risk-free and doesn’t require any surgery. During the consultation, your dentist will recommend different treatment options depending on the severity of the discolouration.
- Inexpensive: Compared to other cosmetic procedures, teeth whitening services are relatively inexpensive. Contact us for more information.
C] DIY Whitening Kits vs Professional Teeth Whitening Service
When it comes to teeth whitening and bleaching process there are several options available, popular among them is over-the-counter home bleaching products for teeth and DIY whitening kits.
However, compared to professional teeth whitening service, DIY bleaching kits offer short-term results. Over time, the high percentage of chemicals in DIY kits can damage your tooth enamel and expose the dentine underneath leading to more wear and tear. Also, over-the-counter bleaching products can cause gum burns, gum irritation, and can be generally harmful to your health.
In contrast, by opting for a professional teeth whitening service, you are assured of a risk-free and safe treatment that offers long-lasting results. Thus, even though DIY kits for teeth whitening are readily available, for a safe treatment, choose an experienced dentist in Sunshine Coast.
D] Teeth Whitening Services in Sunshine Coast
- At-Home Teeth Whitening Service
For at-home teeth whitening, the dentist makes custom-fit trays which includes whitening strips & gels, tray-based tooth bleaching systems or tooth whitening toothpaste. Depending on the level of tooth discolouration, you will have to wear the tray for an hour or a day as recommended by the dentist. Note, however, that for getting the best result, following the instructions given by the dentist is of utmost importance.
- In-Office Teeth Whitening Service
For a quick and efficient teeth whitening process, opt for an in-office teeth whitening service provided by a trained dentist. An experienced dentist can carry out this procedure safely; unlike beauty salons, who neither have trained staff nor the necessary equipment.
Here, you have the option of whitening the entire mouth or a few teeth. Also, this option is recommended for individuals who have receding gums or abfraction lesions. What’s more, the result from in-office teeth whitening also last longer, and the entire process may not take more than an hour (or a few visits).
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Why get your teeth whitened?
One of the reasons to get your teeth whitened is to improve your dental health and smile. Teeth whitening can help boost your confidence and self-esteem. Professional tooth whitening service is also effective & affordable and makes use of safe bleaching agents to lighten your teeth.
Can whitening/bleaching work on all teeth?
Since your tooth may be discoloured due to various reasons, the dentist will examine your teeth to determine the cause of tooth discolouration before deciding whether or not you require teeth whitening service. The examination will also help the dentist discover if you need any other dental treatment before the bleaching process.
What is the right age to bleach my teeth?
There is no right age as such to bleach your teeth. The dentist will take into consideration varied factors – dental history, cause/degree of discolouration before suggesting the best possible treatment.
What can I do for teeth sensitive during/after the whitening process?
Sensitivity to both hot and cold is the most common side-effect of the teeth whitening process. Your dentist will recommend certain toothpaste and other professional products that can help you to effectively manage tooth sensitivity during and after the bleaching process. This will help minimise any side-effects.
What steps can I take to ensure that the result lasts?
Maintaining good oral hygiene is the first step that’ll ensure the results last. What you eat also affects your dental health after the teeth whitening process, so avoid excessive tea, coffee and alcoholic beverages. Additionally, to improve dental and oral health include these best foods in your diet. Plus, consider tooth bleaching touch-up once a year and make sure to visit the dentist every six months for a dental checkup to achieve optimal oral health.
How much does teeth whitening cost in Sunshine Coast?
While teeth whitening cost in Sunshine Coast can be anywhere between $750-$1000, at Oris Dental, our teeth whitening service cost anywhere between $450 to $700 depending on the extent of tooth discolouration.